48th Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off, October 11 – The Super Bowl of Weigh-Offs:
Superstar Growers Butt Gourds and Vie for Super Hefty Top Prize of $9/Pound and $30k World Record Prize
Thankfully, at long last for live events and communities everywhere and all they nourish by bringing people together with inspiration and joy, ”the times, they are a-changin'” as the great Bob Dylan wrote and sang in his uniquely signature way.
"Celebrate Gourd Times" at this year’s one-day scaled-down HMB Pumpkin Minifest 49.5 on Saturday, Oct. 16 from 9am to 5pm along Main Street! Festival admission is free.
Join in the fabulously festive fun as the World Pumpkin Capital of Half Moon Bay will be bursting out in orange to celebrate its bountiful fall harvest and autumn splendor – our top shelf festival lineup features:
- A special display and photos with the Rhinoceros-sized weigh-off grand champion mega-gourd to benefit the Cabrillo Education Foundation
- Smashing non-stop entertainment with stellar live music on stage and street – entertainment lineup to be announced soon
- Boo-tiful harvest-inspired fine art and crafts from local Made on the Coast artists – artist lineup to be announced soon
- Deelish homestyle foods served by local community service organizations
- Premium wines from Half Moon Bay Winery, seasonal craft beer, pumpkin-infused ales, artisanal cocktails and Pathwater – 100% responsibly and locally sourced in a reusable aluminum bottle
- Expert pumpkin carver Farmer Mike sculpting monster pumpkins into amazing one-of-a-kind masterpieces
- Costume contest (10am at the HMB Library, Correas and Purissima) and pie eatings contests (2pm on the IDES Grounds)
- Pumpkin carving for fun (10am on the IDES Grounds)
- Stock up on the latest and greatest official festival gear and coveted curios with our cool logo commemorating this year's outlier festival
- Pancake breakfast in the City Hall parking lot, Main and Kelly, presented by the HMB High School boys basketball team
- Plus there's wet and wild waterballerz, Cornhole Corner game area, selfies and fun with the delightfully rotund, playful and mischievious Pumpkin Festival mascot “Gourdy”
- The Great Pumpkin Run – in-person Kids 1-Mile Fun Run, 5k, 10k and Half Marathon presented by Senior Coastsiders (with different start times beginning at 7am at Hatch Elementary School, 490 Miramontes Ave., Half Moon Bay) plus a virtual option – online registration here
- Stop by the Safeway tent for reusable grocery bags, coupons and goodies and grab a selfie with their vintage Farmers Market truck
- Sweet sponsor swag giveaways
Pets are not allowed. For the safety, comfort, and courtesy of your pets and festival-goers, please leave your pets at home. Large crowds make it a very stressful and dangerous environment for pets.
Festival admission is free.
Health and Safety Guidelines
The festival will be held in accordance with current State, County and City Health and Safety guidelines for outdoor events:
- Health guidelines strongly recommend that attendees be fully vaccinated.
- If not fully vaccinated, guidelines strongly recommend that attendees obtain a negative COVID-19 test prior to attending the event and wear a face covering at the event.
- Recommend the use of face coverings by all when not actively eating or drinking.
- Enhanced handwashing and hand sanitizing stations throughout the event site.
- Reduction of booth and exhibit space inventory by more than 50% to allow for more open spacing and pedestrian flow.
- All arts and crafts, food and beverage, and kids activity booths will be staffed and managed by local Coastside residents.
The festival is partnering with Coastside Hope to host a COVID-19 vaccination pop-up at the festival in the Bank of America parking lot.
Vaccines will be administered to patrons 12 and older from 9am to 5pm. No appointment is necessary.
“Offering attendees the opportunity to receive a vaccination at the festival helps reinforce the message of encouraging the entire community to get vaccinated so we can all safely enjoy festival gatherings once again and into the future,” said Judith Guerrero, Executive Director of Coastside Hope. HR Support will be administering the vaccines and the vaccine clinic is possible thanks to the support of San Mateo County Health.